[time-nuts] OT: HP 8590A

Tom Holmes, N8ZM tholmes at woh.rr.com
Sun Feb 21 22:19:35 UTC 2010

Joe...

I had an 8590A a number of years ago, and was able to do a lot with it. As
others have pointed out, it does tend to drift and the frequency accuracy,
especially in the HF range, isn't that great, but that's why counters were
invented. These guys were intended for the portable service market, such as
cable TV and what passed for cell phone base stations 20 years ago. As
others have mentioned, if the display is not badly burned and the input
attenuator hasn't been popped, it should be a very useful tool for a lot of
the things you would want to see. Yes, parts can be tough to get for it, so
keep that risk in mind.

My credo has long been that you should always take your first measurement
with some skepticism until  you have something to corroborate it. This is
frequently called a sanity check.

So if you can get it for a price that you think is reasonable for the
condition, go for it. Any way to look at the spectrum content is better than
nothing.

Regards,

Tom Holmes, N8ZM
Tipp City, OH