Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 09:35:07 UTC 2010

Hi..

If the price is right, the 8590 analyzer if healthy makes a good
introduction to that class of instruments, you'll learn a lot.

Yes, they are not the top of the range, but they are not shabby either.

Get yourself signed up to the HP_Agilent group (also on Yahoo) for
detailed info, and they are not too dificult to fix either.

There is a lithium backup battery that perhaps should be replaced if
there is no evidence it has already been done, but look up the correct
procedure before you go wading in.

Re dim traces/screens.  The faceplate protector often gets crudded up on
the inside, making things darker than you'd think.  Bit of a task to
remove and clean, but not dificult.   Manuals are available if you ask
in the right places.   Again, ask before getting the toolbox out.

It's also relativley trivial to make a crude "converter" to get up to
3GHz.  In essance, all you need is a stable oscilator, a mixer, and
perhaps a crude band pass filter.   Not "calibrated" but you'll see
stuff that can help whatever you are trying to do.  The choice of
frequencies is the interesting bit, avoiding any posible IF leakage, and
knowing how to identify (and ignore) images etc.

As to usability, bit of a mixed bag.  They can be easy to drive, but
there are layers of menus too.  However, once you find your way round
them, no problem.

As it has GPIB, look at KE5FX's GPIB software tools for sa's.   Very
good indeed.

As above, if the price is right, get it.   A good first SA to own.  But
see it working first, even if it's just looking at the local broacast FM
stations with a bit of wire in the front input socket.  No signals
(especialy if no "0Hz" spur = no buy, unless the price is very very very
low, even then, it may just end up as a parts donor.)

Dave G0WBX.