[time-nuts] Rb Oscillator - rather fundamental question

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 19:36:00 UTC 2010

All very informative and useful information for sure and good to know,
But I'm thinking the real difference between a primary and secondary
standard,
Has More to do with if there is anything else more accurate and repeatable
available.
I'd guess a Rb would of made a great cave man Primary standard.
And sounds like it will NOT be long before the Freq and drift of a CS
Primary will be consider just another secondary standard that will have to
be calibrated.
(to get the 1e-16 + or whatever accuracy/repeatability  it is they are now
working on.)

ws
[time-nuts] Rb Oscillator - rather fundamental question

Sorry - I should have written a longer response - but you've put it all
straight anyway.

I wonder how long it will be before the definition of the second is changed
to use the newer types of clocks using strontium, ytterbium, mercury, or
aluminium (which I believe is the current "front runner")?

Cheers
Dave