[time-nuts] Low noise voltage regulators

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 21:57:22 UTC 2010

Hi,
I remember a reference, probably by Bruce, that LEDS provide a low
noise voltage reference.
I am proposing to build a voltage regulator for a thermally
controlled LPRO rubidium oscillator,
with the voltage regulator being mounted on the 0.5 inch thick
aluminium heat sink plate.
The LEDS would also be mounted on the plate, which has controlled
temperature.
The LPRO has internal voltage regulation, and by running it at ~40C
and 18Volts, the thermal
flux within the unit is minimised as is the power demand.
What I want to know is if a LM317 running on a stack of LEDs driven
by the LM317 output
would provide a low noise power source? What would be better?

cheers, Neville Michie