[time-nuts] HP 105B power supply noise

Ralph Devoe rgdevoe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 17:05:53 UTC 2010

Speaking of low-noise regulators, I have an HP 105B standard that has
a burned up regulator board. The previous owner patched it up but it
still has about 50 mV of 60 Hz on the regulated 18.7 volt line. The 5
MHz output has a half a dozen 120 Hz noise sidebands when viewed on a
spectrum analyzer (an HP 3585a).

I'm trying to decide whether to repair the board or put in a modern
regulator. I'm assuming that I need better than 1 mV stability and
much less noise to get a clean signal. Any suggestions?

Ralph