[time-nuts] Loran on now

Jim Mandaville zygo at dakotacom.net
Mon Jan 4 00:51:40 UTC 2010

Now at 1745 MST in Tucson, AZ I can hear the usual Loran signal on
100 kHz (probably the one in Searchlight, Nevada.  But looking at the
Wiki article on Loran I see that it was apparently to be shut down
AFTER 4 January, not ON 4 January, with even that predicated on a
finding by the Department of Homeland Security.  Does anyone know
whether Homeland Security so certified??

  "After 4 January" could be a long time!

Following is the Wiki quote:

In November 2009, the U.S. Coast Guard announced that the LORAN-C
stations under its control would be closed down for budgetary reasons
after January 4, 2010 provided the Secretary of the Department of
Homeland Security certifies LORAN is un-needed as a backup for
GPS.[15]

Jim Mandaville, KF7A, Tucson