[time-nuts] LPRO-GPSDO

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 08:09:51 UTC 2010

Hi Bruce,
Interesting find.
No disrespect to Justin Crooks (the contact on the website) but this looks a bit of an odd construction. Considering that you can buy LPRO's for under $100, I'd expect a case at least. That LED is a prime candidate for getting knocked off and I'm guessing that the components are exposed on the back of the PCB. No detailed specifications given in the manual and no information on what GPS is used. There is no mention of survey mode so I doubt it's a timing unit. No mention either of who "refurbished" the LPRO, Symetricon? I'd be surprised. In the UK avionics industry there is a (derogatory) term for a "switch it on, see if it lights up and give the case a coat of paint" refubishment - an american overhaul. I've nothing against Americans, it's just a phrase.
I'm more than happy for Justin to rebutt my assertions if he's on the list, but I'd buy a LPRO and timing Oncore from China (ebay) and put hem in a nice box.

Just my opinion,
Robert G8RPI.