[time-nuts] FE-5650 problems

r.tetrault at comcast.net r.tetrault at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 18:38:45 UTC 2010

I have a Symmetricom 56000 Data Rate Clock. Trimble 6-sat GPS. 90K sample position averaging allows Google maps to "nail" the antenna location.

Principally use it as a GPS-DO, the primary GPS-DO is a ovenized crystal oscillator. The back-up oscillator is a rubidium FEI FE-5650 with enough options to make simple replacement highly unlikely.

Late last week the FE-5650 reported losing Rb lock and multiple restarts gives no joy, so I am stumped.

Anyone have experience with the 56000, the FE-5650, or FEI's willingness to re-work their old parts? And for exactly how much blood?

TIL,
Bob Tetrault
Portland, OR