[time-nuts] Non electrical time-nuttery

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 9 19:07:25 UTC 2010

OK.. So we're moving back in electrical technology....
But what about mechanical?  Could modern technology get a substantial (>order of magnitude) improvement over 19th century chronometers (either pendulum or balance wheel or whatever).  I know there's some really good quartz fiber torsional spring schemes, but I think they still need electrical means to keep them moving and to read it out.

So how good can one do with a mechanical, hydraulic, (or chemical, I suppose) system?  Let's assume it has to have a "direct" readout that is human readable by a causal bystander.  (this starts to sound like the 10,000 year clock or whatever it is..)