[time-nuts] z3816a running on 12V

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Mon Jan 11 00:55:37 UTC 2010

I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so I thought I point out
that the Z3816A, at least the one I have that is spec'ed to run on
20-72V, will run on 12V, if you change the settings of DIP switch S1 on
the power board.

Normally S1 is set with switches 3&4 on ("24A" on the silkscreen) and
all other off, but if you set switches 1&2 on ("12" on the silkscreen)
and turn the rest off, it runs fine at 12V.    I see about 960 mA @ 12V
@ 21C after warm up.

There are also settings for "24B", "48A" and "48B".   I have not
investigated the difference between the A & B settings.  Polarity or
grounding, perhaps.

-ch