[time-nuts] I think I've become a Volt nut too.

Mike Naruta AA8K aa8k at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 15:10:07 UTC 2010

Sure Chuck.  What I was talking about was a part of statistics
that we in our gnat-hair-splitting compulsive group may forget
about.

Let's assume that our 100,000 standards were carefully
calibrated against THE standard.  There is a small amount of
error in the calibration process.  Let us even assume that the
error in the calibration process is normally distributed.

It is not impossible that for a sample of 100,000 secondary
standards, that the errors would be all be off in the same
direction, compared to the standard's value.

Now, granted, this would be a small probability indeed.  But it
is possible to toss a coin fifty times and have fifty "heads".
The smart bet is that it won't.