[time-nuts] Question about Firmware for EIP Counters

brucekareen at aol.com brucekareen at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 17:54:05 UTC 2010

Is anyone on the list familiar with the firmware for EIP 578 or 548 series
counters?  I have a favorite 578 counter, with power measuring  option,
that I have owned for years.  All of this time I have wished it had  the
Frequency Extension option.  Recently I bought a mechanically-damaged  578 with
the desired extended frequency range feature on eBay.  I removed  the optional
RF parts and added them to my old counter.  I also  transferred the
associated firmware PROM (U20) to my counter's A-105  microprocessor board, and
added the jumper required to activate the feature on a  second board.  But the
option failed to work.  By pressing buttons I  determined the cause was a
firmware rather than RF problem.

While my old firmware set of 5 PROMS was Version-B, the "parts"  counter
had Version-D PROMS, even though it was not far removed in  serial number and
bore the same CCN code.  So I transferred the remaining  Version-D PROMS to
my counter and presto! the frequency extension option worked  great!
However, before I could celebrate by closing the case, I realize  the prized power
measurement feature no longer worked.  I tried  interchanging the first
then last PROMs in the programming sequence, but this  just caused the
microprocessor to lock-up.  I am left with the feeling  that the various firmware
versions might correspond to the eight  permutations of the three options
requiring microprocessor intervention (A to  D Converter, Power Meter, &
Frequency Extension).  If this is the  case, my augmentation project seems doomed
unless I can obtain a copy of  the appropriate firmware.  Has any list member
had experience adding  options to the EIP counters of this family?   I have
already  asked this question on the Microwave Reflector, but with no

Bruce Hunter, KG6OJI