[time-nuts] I think I've become a Volt nut too.

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 13 00:58:05 UTC 2010

Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> For open box pendulums, the air swishing around in the cave should be very effective at locking every single one of them up.
>
> For something like a vacuum enclosed clock you would need lock modes that are a bit more crazy.

Vacuum enclosure still allows acoustical coupling through the support
mechanics. Consider a speaker element, it pushes a bit of air away along
with push its cone in that direction. However, the force has a counter
fource to the underlying ground. While the movement is smaller, due to
its higher acoustical impedance, it is still there. Similar for a
pendulum, as it swings, the support mecanics feels a shift in force with
the rate of the swing, so counter-acting force is need for not moving
around. Maybe the best illustration would be the placement of a pendulum
on top of a piece of ice over wet ice.

So, by saying acoustical, I by no means imply the waves in air.

Cheers,
Magnus