[time-nuts] GPSDO Design

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Jan 14 12:58:38 UTC 2010

Hi

If you are doing a GPSDO, your input to the 4096 is at 1 pps / 1 Hz. The PLL loop filter would be part of the circuitry around the op-amp you are talking about. That filter is going to have time constants around 300 to 10,000 seconds associated with it. What ever noise you have will be attenuated by the filter. More or less, you only are worried about the noise in a bandwidth << 1 Hz.

Another way of looking at it:

You have an OCXO moves 120 ppb total for 10 volts (I'm lazy ...). That's:

 12 ppb / V (1.2x10-8 / V)
12 ppt / mv

A good op amp is going to run below 100 nV / Hz. That's .1 uV or 1x10-7 V. A very good op amp might be 100X better than that. A poor one could be 10X worse.

1x10-7V x 1.2x10-8 per volt = 1.2x10-15

Even with your more sensitive OCXO, you are at ~ 1.2x10-14.

Unless you are running a hydrogen maser, that's not going to be an issue.

Now, thermal offsets, that's another question entirely ....

Bob