[time-nuts] FW: HeyWhatsThat: January 15 Solar Eclipse

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:15:24 UTC 2010

As usual this is another thing that only works in the exclusive clubs
of Windows and Mac users, Linux is the also ran (no Google Earth
plugin for Linux). And yes I could pop it up on my laptop but that's
doing something important and I don't want it to mess its knickers and
waste a lot of my work.

Steve

2010/1/15 Geraldo Lino de Campos <geraldo at decampos.net>:
> It works fine for me. Windows XP SP2, Firefox 3.5.7, DELL Inspiron 1525.
>

>> Message: 5
>> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:50:15 -0800
>> From: Rex <rexa at sonic.net>
>> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] FW: HeyWhatsThat: January 15 Solar Eclipse
>> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>>        <time-nuts at febo.com>
>>
>> John,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I expected to hear from someone besides me who was
>> also experiencing problems trying to run the link. I wonder if anyone
>> can confirm that they are able to use the page successfully from an XP
>> machine (or other MS OS), using the Firefox browser. Perhaps someone can
>> confirm that this combination is capable or working or not.
>>
>> I wouldn't expect this machine to be challenged. It is an Intel Quad
>> Core processor at 2.8 GHz and has 4 GB of RAM. That is not
>> state-of-the-art, but is pretty high performance. I haven't seen any
>> other software problems in the ~6 months I've been using this PC.
>>
>> Today I was wondering if I could find a way to update the GE plug-in in
>> Firefox. I couldn't, but I checked for a Firefox update and there was
>> one. After updating Firefox, it automatically started loading a new GE
>> plug-in, so I should now have the latest versions of Firefox and the
>> Google Earth plug-in. When I tried the page again, I got basically the
>> same hang result.
>>
>> The browser window fills with what looks like a very noisy picture of
>> several copies of one window. So much video noise that I can't tell what
>> the windows are, but they look like empty windows with some kind of
>> control or status along the bottom. On the right half of the firefox
>> window is one big area of just blank video noise. While this is going
>> on, any cursor movement doesn't happen for 5 - 10 sec after I move the
>> mouse. I can eventually kill firefox if I gradually move the cursor to
>> the upper-right X and click it. If I let this continue for several
>> minutes I eventually get a box that says a script is not responding --
>> asks to stop it or continue. If I stop it, I eventually regain control.
>>
>> I started to try it in IE earlier but didn't let GE load so no
>> information gained. Just now I did it again with IE and let it load
>> Google Earth. The page does run under IE, so seems the the application
>> script has some compatibility with Firefox and the GE plug-in. Surely
>> anyone else will see the same problems if they are using Firefox. I
>> abhor IE, so I guess I won't be running this tool.
>>
>> Do you have any connection to the page owner? Can you pass this report on?
>>
>> -Rex

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;
A man with two clocks is never quite sure.