[time-nuts] HP 10544A with dodgy output?

Nick Foster bistromat at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:21:30 UTC 2010

Thanks for the quick reply, John.

> From: jmfranke at cox.net
> Okay, 12V on the oscillator (pin 3) and 20V on the oven (pin 14).  How much
> on the oven controller, pin 8?

+12V. The oscillator uses the same supply as the filter, with the addition of a 10mH inductor + decoupling caps.

> Are pins 2, 4, 5, 9, and 15 grounded?  Pin 6 (EFC) should be grounded for
> initial testing.

Yes and yes.

Upon looking further, something jumped out at me: the output is 2.2V RMS into 1000 ohms instead of the 1V RMS spec'ed in the datasheet. So I suppose the problem might be in the AGC circuitry, instead of the output emitter follower. It doesn't look as though the AGC in this oscillator contains a trimpot, like the 10811 does.

I'm using the schematic at http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/10544/10544-3.gif, but I don't have a good idea of how that AGC works.

--n