[time-nuts] 4 KV Power Supply Recommendations

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Jan 17 12:33:22 UTC 2010

For all the ion pumps I am familiar with (particularly one I built for an
airborne radar), the power supply regulation is intentionally very poor,
i.e. at the max specified current, the voltage should be down to something
like 500V or even less, otherwise the pump will overheat. The best curve is
not a constant current regulation, just a voltage that slopes down nicely
with the current.

In general, as long as the current keeps going down, even if slowly, you are
making progress. If it stops going down before it gets to the normal range
of the data sheet for that tube, you may have a problem.

Didier