[time-nuts] Z3815A vs Z3816A [Z3805A]

John Allen john at pcsupportsolutions.com
Mon Jan 18 02:17:48 UTC 2010

Here is some info from fluke.l's description from epay last Sept.

Symmetricom  Z3805A 16 channels GPS 10mhz high quality frequency/time
standards/ 1ppS

let me tell you how different it from the Hp Z3801 or Z3816A

1.it made in 2004 years,only use as standard in Korea.(HP Z3801A or Z3816A
made in 2000 year ) (most only power on Not over30 times ,it will recored in
the flash...)

2.it come with the 16 channels GPS module (made by furuno  in japan ) <Hp
Z3801A 6 channels ,Hp Z3816A 8 channels ,made by Motorola in USA>

3 The Hp Z3801A just come with one 10mhz,and Hp Z3816A come with the Two
10mhz and Two 1PPS.ONLY 1 RS232
But My Z3805A come with Two 10mhz and Two 1PPS Two RS422.and
base the information from Korea

also come with E1/T1 Output because it provides can be reused for various
purposes on the Network.

Some additional notes:
It uses a Milliren MTI 260-0624-C 5 mhz Osc.

More from fluke.l -

Integrity is further improved because of its SBAS (WAAS) capability in
addition to traditional T-RAIM (Time-Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitor)
function. Several new command sets have been added for easier use.

PPS output mode is available. For example, in "always output mode", 1PPS is
output without satellite signals using the receiver's internal timing (no
UTC synchronization). In "fixed observation point mode", one satellite
signal is enough to output UTC synchronized 1PPS. application is infinite.
Characteristics

    * Low cost but powerful, fast 16 Channel GPS receiver
    * Accuracy is not sacrificed 15 nanoseconds with regard to UTC (1
sigma).
    * Low power consumption (58mA at 3.3VDC) at full tracking satellites
    * RF pig tail cable with popular connector already soldered for easier,
more cost-effective installation.
    * Almanac uploading and downloading.
    * Autonomous transition from "Survey" to "Fixed Observation Point" lets
the receiver calculate its position and then use the averaged position as
the fixed observation point.
    * "Back to fixed position set" allows you to go back to the fixed
position even after power-off.

Specifications  (Of GPS receiver.)
Numbers of channel	16 channels
Position-Fixing System	All-In-View SPS (DGPS RTCM-SC104)
Frequency	1575.42 MHz
Tracking capability	12 Satellites simultaneously including 1 WAAS
supporting channel
Number of Parallel Searches	16
Protocol	NMEA-Like
WAAS Support	1 Channel
Uses DGPS and functions to deselect unhealthy satellites
GPS-Fix data Renewal Rate	1 Second
1PPS Output	UTC-Synchronized (1 pulse / second)
Acquisition / Tracking Specifications
Initial Acquisition Time	8.4 seconds Hot Start (Open Sky)
36 seconds Warm Start (Open Sky)
44.9 seconds Cold Start (Open Sky)
Re-acquisition Time	2 seconds
(-127 dBm or stronger signal interrupted for 10 seconds or less)
Horizontal Accuracy (2 drms)	5.6 m
Vertical Accuracy (2 drms)	7.3 m
Power Supply
Supply Voltage / Current	Voltage: 3.0 to 3.6 VDC
Current: Max 72 mA at 3.6 VDC
External Back-up power	Voltage: 2.1 to 3.6 VDC
Current: 200 uA when VCC = 3.6 VDC
Ambient Conditions	Operating temperature: -30 - +80 degree
Storage temperature: -40 - +85 degree
Dimensions	20.8 mm (W) x 33.8 mm (D) x 6.3 mm (H)
Mass	8 g
--------

Z38XX supports it.  Thanks, Ulrich!

John K1AE