[time-nuts] Anyone interested in helping port maths software to FreeBSD?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Jan 18 06:27:08 UTC 2010

I know many time-nuts use FreeBSD. Is there anyone interested in devoting some
spare time to help port the GPL2 Sage maths software Sage

http://www.sagemath.org/

to FreeBSD?

There is someone else doing this (Peter, who I cc'ed this to), but I suspect
Peter's efforts are somewhat hampered by the fact that for code to be
incorporated into Sage, needs to be reviewed by someone else. That's somewhat
difficult, when others don't run FreeBSD.

I have exactly the same issue, in that I've worked to port Sage to Solaris.
Finding someone to review the code has been at best problematic, though that has
changed somewhat recently, as someone else has taken an interest in porting Sage
to Open Solaris. I've actually got Sage building on SPARC now, though there are
more issues than on Linux.

You can try the SPARC version of the Sage software at

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/

though the linux version at

http://www.sagenb.org/

will have less bugs.

Even if someone did not spend a lot of time coding Sage on FreeBSD, I suspect if
they attempted to built the source code, and could look over some of Peter's
patches and make comments and test them out, it would no doubt help a lot.

Dave