[time-nuts] Microwave oven experiments

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Jan 19 19:35:00 UTC 2010

I ran the oven for 2 minutes while heating up a cup of water (normally just fine for a large cup of tea :). The spectrum analyzer was on max-hold mode at the maximum RBW (1MHz) so that was a lot of sweeps, but the display was pretty much stable after about 30 seconds, after that, it just filled some of the valleys.

I do not pretend that any of that is calibrated in any way, but initially, I thought, with the 30dB attenuation in front of the mixer, I am unlikely to blow anything. I guess I was right, but not by much...

Certainly, the antenna is questionable, and so is the BNC T adapter. Antenna orientation was what it was, just moving my hand in the vicinity caused significant shift in the amplitude response over frequency, but not so much change in the peak value, so I did not try to optimize it.

Didier