[time-nuts] Test Equipment

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Thu Jan 21 19:08:16 UTC 2010

Hello John and the Net:

Welcome to the list.

You have to define what you really want to do, before you spec out the
test equipment to do it.

Is your focus time and frequency accuracy and stability or more RF
design wise ?

Find a job that has all the access to modern test equipment you could
dream of.
If you have it at work and they tolerate home projects, you are a giant
step ahead.
A key to the stock room also helps.....

If you really have to have your own, I find Ebay to be a valuable
(anytime) source.
Ham radio fleamarkets are another source. Timonium, NEARFEST, MIT,
Dayton.....

Ebay is like the big fleamarket in the ether, you do not know what you
bought until you put it on your test bench and evaluate its' performance..

Most test equipment vendors are simply junk/salvage dealers.
They buy by the pallet load and hope for a bonanza on Ebay.
Always consider a second unit as a parts unit.

There is nothing wrong with gear a generation or two old as long as you
can live with the original specs.
The older HP gear I have picked up is exceptionally reliable and still
performing.

Where are you located and what is your engineering job ?

Stan, W1LE     Cape Cod     FN41sr