[time-nuts] Test Equipment

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Jan 21 21:39:14 UTC 2010

Hi

Nothing about a lab is "one size fits all". That said, I think you probably
will need to add:

A way to come up with 3 DC voltages. Either a triple supply or 3 independent
supplies. Something like 0-7V @ 5-10A and a couple of 0-32V at 1-3A
supplies.

Something to measure volts and amps. Handheld meters are very neat and they
can do a lot. I happen to like bench DVM's simply because they don't walk
around the bench as I tug on the leads.

A bench computer. It doesn't need to be the latest and greatest. Something
that will barely run XP is probably plenty good enough. It does need to have
a net connection, a serial port, a parallel port, and a sound card. A
(mostly) working display is also helpful. If you get exotic, it should have
at least one USB port.

A *good* soldering setup. I've seen more people destroy stuff with low end
soldering gear than just about any other thing.

A stock of parts and wire. What we are talking about here is really how to
allocate a limited budget. Parts are just as important as anything else you
set up in a lab. Save some money to at least put in a stock of resistors and
common capacitors.

Someplace to work. The kitchen table isn't going to cut it for long. Don't
buy more stuff than you have room to use. Also don't empty out all the
quarters from the cookie jar before a table or bench gets bought. The
strength of the bench may be a significant issue as you shop for test gear.

For radio specific stuff:

Some kind of RF signal source. Usually a signal generator for the bands that
interest you. It can be as simple as an old LM frequency meter or it can
cost as much as a new car...

A way to measure RF power accurately. You can do this with a scope or a
spectrum analyzer, but an RF power meter is more likely to give you a good
answer.

An audio generator. You could do it with a sound card, but that can get
pretty tedious. Audio / function generators are pretty cheap if you shop
around. If you'd been at the Dayton Hamfest in 1981 I would have gladly sold
you a good one for $15 (your choice from the 4 pallets full).

A radio power supply. Depending on what you run, this might not be much. A
supply that will adjust at least from 10 to 15 volts that puts out 20 to 30A
is what I would recommend.

The list could go on and on, but it does very much depend on what you want
to do.

Bob