[time-nuts] Oncore UT+ and NTP configuration

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 22 00:33:19 UTC 2010

bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz said:
> Only issue for 8.0 was to ensure the real time clock driver was
> enabled or the initial time error would often be too large.

There is a command line switch that allows ntpd to start on systems that have
a bogus initial date/time.

>From the man page:

       -g, --panicgate
              Allow the first adjustment to be Big.   This  option  may
              appear an unlimited number of times.

              Normally,  ntpd exits with a message to the system log if
              the offset exceeds the panic threshold, which is  1000  s
              by  default. This option allows the time to be set to any
              value without restriction; however, this can happen  only
              once.  If the threshold is exceeded after that, ntpd will
              exit with a message to the system log. This option can be
              used with the -q and -x options.  See the tinker configu-
              ration file directive for other options.