[time-nuts] Rb Mag sensitivity

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Tue Jan 26 03:35:51 UTC 2010

Hi

I finally found a number listed for the external magnetic field sensitivity of a fairly small Efratom rubidium. It's specified as 3 x10^-11 per 0.1 mili tesla.  I did *not* make up those units, that's the way they stated it. If that's correct *and* my very rusty physics is also right:

A 1 A change in a wire one inch away will produce  0.08 mili tesla of field change. That should produce  2.36x10^-11 frequency change. Obviously it's not quite that simple since the wire is a lot closer to the device than the device is large. I suppose a more proper measure would be 1" away from the physics package. Even then the field is not uniform over the entire physics package.

The reasonable conclusion would seem be that amp or multi amp conductors at an inch or more from the package might indeed be an issue at the 1x10^-11 level. At the very least twisted paris for DC in the area sound like a good idea as opposed to random wire routing. It also sounds like a good idea to simply not have that sort of current running right by the physics package.

Ok, what did I miss that time. Hand calculating DC fields is something I haven't done in ... ummm,... errr ... let's leave it at "quite a while".