[time-nuts] Oncore UT+ and NTP configuration

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:43:08 UTC 2010

Thanks for all the help on this, I have made quite some progress and
learned a heap more about freeBSD along the way

So far I have rebuilt everything on freebsd 8, I ran into a few issues
with oncore related bugs in NTP

In particular this one

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2009-December/037544.html

Once I got past that with a more up to date version of NTP from the
development sources I get to the point where all installs and starts up
but the oncore driver does not get used, tailing the log shows the
following error

Jan 26 15:20:48  ntpd[1248]: ntpd 4.2.7p10 at 1.2108-o Tue Jan 26 13:07:17 UTC 2010 (3)
Jan 26 15:20:48  ntpd[1249]: proto: precision = 11.880 usec
Jan 26 15:20:48  ntpd[1249]: ONCORE[0]: ONCORE DRIVER -- CONFIGURING
Jan 26 15:20:48  ntpd[1249]: ONCORE[0]: state = ONCORE_NO_IDEA
Jan 26 15:20:48  ntpd[1249]: ONCORE[0]: SHMEM (size = 3628) is CONFIGURED and available as /var/log/oncore.0
Jan 26 15:20:48  ntpd[1249]: ONCORE[0]: state = ONCORE_CHECK_ID
Jan 26 15:20:50  ntpd[1249]: ONCORE[0]: Oncore: Resend @@Cj
Jan 26 15:21:22  last message repeated 2 times
Jan 26 15:21:38  ntpd[1249]: ONCORE[0]: Oncore: No response from @@Cj, shutting down driver

However I am certain that my oncore responds correctly to @@Cj since I
have tried this command both via winoncore and TAC

is it possible my issues are down to the serial port speed not being set
correctly or does the driver take care of this ?

Anyone managed to get PHK's rather interesting looking NTPns to build
and install ok under freeBSD8? If so any hints on this?

A few annoyances I have not satisfactory resolved yet in relation to
nanoBSD. these are probably due to my unfamiliarity with BSD in general

1/ ntp is installed by default even with the most minimal of freeBSD
installations. it's installed to /usr/sbin & user/bin directories. when
I build a lter version from ports it's installed under /usr/local but
the nanoBSD script pulls in preference the version form /usr/bin &
usr/sbin

2/ the nanaobsd script leaves out my termcap file every time

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 14:51 +1300, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> ntpd.conf fragment (there are subtle differences due to renaming of
> serial ports in FreeBSD 8.0) for nanobsd (FreeBSD8.0) attached together
> with kernel config file.
>
> The hints:
>       hint.atrtc.0.at=
> etc
> at the end of the net4501.hints file need to be added.
>
> Bruce
>
> Bob Camp wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Do you remember what the exact setting was to include the RTC driver in the kernel?
> >
> > Bob

> >> I was aware of that, but using the real time clock seems to work better for subsequent power on, once the real time clock is set correctly.
> >>
> >> However with 8.0 the real time clock driver had to be specifically included in the kernel config file whereas in 7.2 it was automatically included.
> >>
> >> Bruce

73
Brendan EI6IZ