[time-nuts] ko4bb monitor

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 22:59:45 UTC 2010

Although the Icruze module fluke.l sells is in a nice
package for mounting on the dash

of a car, I chose to build it into the same case as I did
the Thunderbolt, power supply,

and distribution amplifier. The power and RS-232 signal for
the display is tapped off the

p.c. board of the thunderbolt so the RS-232 connector on the
back is still free to be used

with my computer to monitor the unit. The 10Mhz output from
the T-bolt has a BNC
jumper to the input of the distribution amplifier that has
3 Q-bit amps & 1 unamplified

output that allows me to monitor the output of the T-bolt
directly.  Here are two photos
 of the unit I threw together. I think it makes a nice inexpensive
GPSDO package.

Inside

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/4307285530_4222e414ff_o.jpg

Front

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2798/4307285448_1921a16b26_o.jpg

In the photo of the front of the unit, to the right of the T-bolt, is a RFTG-u
Ref 1
(HP Z3811 with a MTI 260 OCXO) that I modified to run correctly without the
interface cable and companion Ref 0 unit. That has a nice stable 5Mhz output
feeding
a FE-7921A 5Mhz distribution amp. I’m using a Philips PM6680 counter
with an
X72 Rb timebase and aPhilips PM3375 scope for quick frequency checks.
Works quite well to compare the 2 GPSDOs.