[time-nuts] Conducting Bench Top Material

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 27 07:03:54 UTC 2010

In message <1548123648.14120691264567016061.JavaMail.root at sz0108a.emeryville.ca
.mail.comcast.net>, d.seiter at comcast.net writes:

>I guess I wasn't too clear; it was the bare devices we were trying to destroy; the VIC20 was just used for testing.

The 6502 was a very robust device manufactured in NMOS technology.

The original target market was motorolas very lucrative military/space
6800 market, so the chip had to match or exceed the 6800 on all points,
including accidental damage.

The first version, the 6501 was in fact pin- but not instruction-compatible
with 6800, but Motorola had a legal fit and MOS gave up on that idea.

The fact that 6502 mainly ended up in Commodore computers was mainly
a matter of its lower price.  Later the crash in microprocessor prices
saddled Jack Tramiel with a huge overpriced inventory which made him
outright buy MOS to avoid a repeat performance of that problem.

Poul-Henning