[time-nuts] Martian FMT test

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 27 14:33:13 UTC 2010

On 1/27/10 12:57 AM, "Hal Murray" <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> NASA is giving up on getting Spirit out of the sand trap.  But it will have a
> new life that looks interesting to time-nuts.  (frequency-nuts?)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yzbslwz
> http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/01/spirit-rover-probably-stuck/?utm_sou
> rce=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+
> Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

Here's a description of the telecom system on MER
http://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/DPSummary/summary.cfm?force_external=0
About halfway down the page

For radio science, I suspect they'll use the low gain antenna (about 6dBi)
rather than the HGA, so they don't have the position uncertainty of the HGA.
The power amp puts out about +42dBm, so you don't have a lot of signal when
it gets back to earth.

There's link budgets and SNR, discussions of the variations in Best Lock
Frequency with temperature on MER-A, etc.

SDST ADEV performance is probably also in there.

When you read the document MER-A = Spirit, MER-B = Opportunity.