[time-nuts] [OT] Ikea Lamp

David Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:22:33 UTC 2010

There are multiple versions, including wall-mount and one that clamps onto
the edge of an object like a bookshelf.  Here is the family:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=jansjo

They all probably have the same LED head.  If you don't need a long
gooseneck, the wall and clamp versions are the cheapest way to get the head
plus a short gooseneck.  They give a circle of light with a fairly sharp
cutoff at the edge of the circle.  Think of it as something that will fit
into many of the places where you would really like to have a fiber optic
light source, but at 1/5 the cost.

The little wall wart is a regulated constant-current supply (not constant
voltage), which ought to make the light output relatively constant despite
LED temperature changes and wire resistance changes.  However, I find that
the cheap inline switch has contacts that tend to get dirty or oxidize, and
the LED flickers until I flip the switch on and off a couple of times to
clean the contacts.  If you're going to modify it anyway, install a better
switch.

I have two of these.  One clamp-base is mounted on my computer desk, up
high, where it illuminates my keyboard without washing out the monitor.  The
other has the weighted desk base, and it's useful as a reading lamp as well
as illuminating things under the stereomicroscope, and looking inside
cluttered equipment chassis.

      Dave