[time-nuts] Long period variation of GPS PPS timing?

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 09:19:37 UTC 2010

Is this a timing GPS receiver, or a generic fast start navigation receiver?  25 seconds to start from power on sounds rather short for a timing receiver.

The T-bolt start up from cold takes about 15 minutes for the crystal oven to warm, then the self survey is run which by default is 2000 samples (just over 33 minutes).

Once the survey is complete, the position is stored and the receiver runs in "over-determined" clock mode.   I can't remember the "warm start" time but 25 seconds sounds on the short side.

Refer back to Mark Sims tests on the benefits of taking a 48 hour self survey to get a more accurate position (ISTR there was a cyclic error associated with an incorrect position).

Regards,
David Partridge