[time-nuts] Pictic II mods

Peter Putnam pico.2008 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 3 04:05:41 UTC 2010

Group Members,

Beginning in the days of the 1200 bps DPSK modem, clock crystals were
specified to .01% to allow the demodulator at the receiving end to
recover the clock in the data-stream and lock to it. The asynchronous
serial port attached to the modem needed to be no more accurate than 1%,
as the modem included an async-to-sync converter that would strip every
eighth stop bit, if necessary, to reduce the incoming data rate to the
modem rate. The sync-to-async converter in the receiving modem
re-inserted the missing stop bits. The case of incoming data under-speed
was handled in a similar manner.

The older FSK modems were much different. They would shift from mark to
space tones at the data-rate you used. The filters and tone spacings
were typically optimized for 300 bps, but across town, 450 bps was
achievable.

Peter Putnam