[time-nuts] Pictic II mods

Peter Putnam pico.2008 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 3 18:59:27 UTC 2010

List Members,

How casually the time-nuts treat data timing... on one hand, errors of
parts in ten to the minus 12 are cause for great concern, and on the
other hand, throw in an extra stop bit and hope for the best.

Consider how a UART receives data from an asynchronous data transmitter.

The beginning of a received START bit starts a clock running at 16 times
the data rate. At 8 clock ticks, the middle of the start bit is
established. The middle of the first data bit is sampled 16 clock ticks
later, as are the succeeding bits. The center of an "on-speed" STOP bit
occurs on the 144th tick. If the incoming stream is fast, such that the
stop bit is ending at 144 ticks, or slow, such that the stop bit is just
beginning at 144 ticks, timing errors can be expected. The maximum
combined receiver and remote transmitter clock error can then be
established as 144 +/- 8  or  +/- 5%. Errors are not cumulative; each
incoming byte restarts the process.

The penalty for this tolerance of clock errors is the overhead involved;
ten bits are transmitted for each 8-bit byte.

Peter Putnam