[time-nuts] Lightning strikes vs GPS antennas

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Sun Jul 4 19:22:22 UTC 2010

Hello Mike,   Happy 4th !

How about:

Put the GPS receiver and antenna up high. Add photovoltaic panels, a
charge controller, and batteries for all of the DC power needed.
Add a RS-232 serial to fiber optic converter then a few hundred feet of
fiber optic for the galvanic isolation.
At the shack end have a fiber to RS-232 converter then the PC and Lady
Heather.

If you are only after the 1PPS timing pulse, that is a different story I
have not addressed.
Maybe the 1 PPS can be extracted from the serial port.

Possibly convert the RS-232 serial to USB,  then a fiber converter and a
similar full duplex converter at the shack end.

Another alternative may be a RS-232 serial to WiFi converter and a
similar unit in the shack. Full galvanic isolation with radiated RF.

Transition Networks may offer RS-232 to fiber converters. They may also
be found on Ebay, as will the fiber cables.
Possibly do a product search at NewEgg.com. for other choices of converters.

Stan, W1LE     Cape Cod      FN41sr