[time-nuts] Nuts and Phoolery

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 01:56:44 UTC 2010

On 4 July 2010 23:30, Dr. David Kirkby <david.kirkby at onetel.net> wrote:
> On 07/ 4/10 08:48 AM, Steve Rooke wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we are into the wrong sort of projects here, instead of knocking
>> together $10 "testers" we should get some cheap Rb units off fluke.l
>> and start turning out $15,000 audio equipment. Can you imagine how
>> much you could get for your ageing tube Cs unit in this phools market!
>> :)
>>
>> Steve
>
> Do the cheap fluke units allow locking to a 1 pps signal? If so, you could
> sell a GPS locked version for even more!

You could get a Motorola M12+ from Bob for $0.01 if your lucky on one
of his auctions or do a deal with him as he is quite approachable. Add
a handful of chips and an $8 antenna, again, from Bob, fluke.l, and
you could add another $10,000 to the price, I'm sure :)

Add one of the Trimble receivers in there for the extra high quality
stable units $$$$ :)

But if you really want to score in this market... You don't supply a
GPS locked Rb unit because with all the birds coming in and out of
constellation this causes jumps in the reference oscillator and
degrades the audio quality. All your units come calibrated and should
be returned to base on a 3 (6) month basis for re-calibration. Costs
for calibration range from $799.95 for a single but a 5 year contract
reduces the cost per calibration down to a mere $499.95. A separate
contract for the supply of a swapout unit to enable continuous use can
be purchased for $699.95 on a per calibration period which includes
the provision of a loan unit to you and the calibration of your unit,
shipping costs additional.

Steve

> The point made in
>
> http://www.g8wrb.org/useful-stuff/pdf/audiophools.pdf
>
> is that the people that do this sort of thing must have pretty deep pockets,
> which you don't associate with stupid people. (There are exceptions of
> course). There was a guy I was at school with. His parents were richer than
> most of us in the working class area of Walthamstow, East London.
>
> He did advanced level (A-level) in physics, chemistry and maths, just like
> me. He used speaker cables that had arrows on them pointing in the direction
> the music was supposed to flow. I asked him why. He could not offer any
> explanation of any logic for this, but still bought them, as he could afford
> to.
>
> Dave
>

>> On 4 July 2010 19:33, Rob Kimberley<rk at timing-consultants.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe we've all been missing something in our timing projects.
>>> Must get some of that high purity 6N copper wire.......
>>> :-)
>>> Rob K

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein