[time-nuts] Basic question regarding comparing two frequencies

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 24 17:28:35 UTC 2010

Hello:

Just for grins I decided to compare the frquency from my GPSDO to the time base
in my 5328A counter.

I connected the 10 mhz time base from the counter to channel A of my 100 Mhz
scope, fed the 10 mhz signal from my GPSDO into Channel B and with a T adaptor
also fed this signal into the input of the counter.    I scope to trigger from
Channel B.

The drift betwen the two signals on the scope seems to match the error in the
displayed frquency on the counter.  (ie. if the counter shows 9999.9998 it takes
approx 5 seconds for the the wave form on channel A to slip a full cycle
realitve to channel B.)

Is this a reasonable approach or is there a better way to compare two
frequencies using a scope ?

Best regards
Mark Spencer