[time-nuts] HP-3586B Tunable Voltmeter...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sun Jul 25 01:53:28 UTC 2010

Bob,

For dBm or Volts across 50 Ohms, I normally set it for 10K bridging
and use a 50 Ohm terminating connector. 10K terminated by 50 Ohms is
close to 49.75 Ohms, which is close enough for anything I need to
do.  I suppose if I really needed to get accurate, I'd take a file to
a 50 Ohm resistor like we did in the good old days. I've never been
sure why the 3586B always seems to be less expensive than the A
version other than possibly because of the A being a 50 Ohm instrument.

I have a pdf service manual for the A,B & C instruments.  Do you need
a copy for working on your B?  What kind of problems does your B
have?  I've repaired a few and have a little knowledge in repairing them.

Burt

>From: "Robert Benward" <rbenward at verizon.net>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] HP-3586B receiver...
>

>Burt
>I believe the voltmeter is calibrated for 75 ohms, not 50, otherwise they
>are very similar.  You can apply a dB offset to correct for the measurement
>error,  run the input at 10Kohms, and use a 50ohm feedthrough termination.
>
>I own both (the B is has problems now), but I use the voltage measurement
>capability extensively.  The B is much cheaper on Ebay.
>
>Bob

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.