[time-nuts] Symmetricom X72

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 11:06:06 UTC 2010

Brice,

On 26/07/2010, Heathkid <heathkid at heathkid.com> wrote:
> Last night, as suggested by several people on this list... I ordered a
> Trimble Thunderbolt from Bob Mokia, fluke.l so I should be in pretty good
> shape there to get started once it arrives.

Sounds like your starting on the long path to time-nuttiness :) Bob
has supplied a lot of stuff to people on this list and he will look
after you if anything is amiss.

> The counter I mentioned (it's a DFD4 - modified with the tcxo as the "a"
> anyway).  :)  By the way, when I built it, I calibrated it by zero beating
> against WWV at 10 and 20 MHz.  That was the best way I had at the time and
> if the DFD4 is now 7 Hz off after all these years... it's not doing so bad
> (based on it's limitations).

Not bad considering it's a TCXO.

> So... that's what that counter is for and not for what I'm doing now.  I'm
> currently looking for a nice/used HP counter.  Please don't think I'm going
> to use the DFD4 for measuring my Rb standards.  It's a wonderful counter for
> what it was designed for and that's it.

Dependant upon what your looking for in a counter, you could broaden
your choices as there are other useful counters out there that may be
more affordable but still as good. Try looking for a Racal-Dana 1992,
preferably with the high stability option timebase (although these
turn up seperately anyway and are a doddle to fit). It makes a nice
footprint 1ns counter and can be referenced to your T'Bolt.

> I'm not giving up on the FEI's anytime soon.  I understand now that along
> with the Trimble Thunderbolt (and a decent counter) I'll be on my way to
> "getting started".

You'll have to see if those FEI's are the programmable types which can
be set to produce frequencies up to 20MHz. Do they have jut the D'Sub
connector or have an RF connector as well. There are different
variants of these produced by FEI under the same product code.

73 de Steve ZL3TUV & G8KVD