[time-nuts] Fury - Rubidium - PIS

Scott Mace smace at intt.net
Wed Jul 28 03:10:03 UTC 2010

I found that on the FRS-C and the X72 the frequency output was not at
all linear with respect to EFC, which made things worse with large
dacgains.  After _MANY_ hours of watching and playing with different
settings, I came to the conclusion that you just need to be patient when
using Fury+Rb, don't expect it to converge like an OCXO, but it will
over a few hours and give you a good result as long as you have stable
power and shield it from air streams.  High dacgain and efcs give you
the false hope that it will converge fast, but as the unit settles the
loop will fail, and it will start fighting with itself.

The SYNC:IMME can be useful when trying different loop settings.

I found some of my notes for various things I ran with the Fury.

LPRO-101 currently running
COARSE DAC: 55
DAC GAIN: 1000
EFC SCALE: 1.30
OCXO SLOPE: POSITIVE
temp co: 0.00
aging co: -0.00558
phase co: 35

lpro orig
lpro cd 92
dac gain 1000
efc scale 1.30
efc damping 2
efc slope pos
phase co 30

lpro 2
coarse dac 95
dac gain 1300
efcs 1.30
efcdamping 5
ocxo slope pos
agin comp 0.05333
phaseco 35

datum ocxo #1 (From RFG-XO)
coarse dac 64
dac gain 80
efcs 4
efcdamping 10
ocxo slope pos
agin comp 0.27086
phaseco 35

datum ocxo #2
coarse dac 64
dac gain 100
efcs 2.8
efcdamping 10
ocxo slope pos
agin comp 0.14901
phaseco 35

datum ocxo #2 from RFG-XO In an RFG chassis
cd 69
dg 30.00
efcs 12.00
efcd 5
ocxo slope pos
aging comp -0.06559
phaseco 40
tempco was a major issue with the datum ocxo
keeping it in the RFG-XO chassis helped

Efratom FRS-A
DAC GAIN: 5000.00
EFC SCALE: 0.50
EFC DAMPING: 25
OCXO SLOPE: POSITIVE
PHASE CORRECTION: 0.500000
TTL output, pad to below +13dBm, FRS-A needs to settle, open bench
air current problems.

FRS-A #2
dac gain: 4000
efcs: 1.2
efcdamping: 25
phaseco: 15
hard time recovering, from coarsedac bumps

X72
dac gain: 2000
efcs 1.2
efcdamping 25