[time-nuts] Basic question regarding comparing two frequencies

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 14:16:17 UTC 2010

The strip chart recorder is, of course, a hangover of days when data-
logging
could not be done digitally. However I still plot the results out
from a data logger
or time stamped data so I can see what is happening. The scatter of
adjacent readings
shows the noise and measurement uncertainty, any periodicity is
visible as sign waves
and the drift is visible even through a considerable amount of noise.
The reason I still use a chart recorder is that I can see the data in
real time, and I can see
the effects of any adjustments that I make. One problem of chart
recorders is when they run off scale
so I often process signals so they fold back instead of running off
scale.
For setting a rubidium, a chart recorder showing the phase of the
difference between GPS and the rubidium
is very useful, you only have to make adjustments to steer down the
middle of the chart.
The recorder is more of an integrator than low pass filter.
Incidentally, I constructed an early data logger in about 1963. We
had an HP digital voltmeter attached to a
an HP printer. I constructed a 500Hz tuning fork time standard,
divided down with decatrons, to trigger the
voltmeter printer to record a measurement. I then had to punch the
numbers from the printout onto IBM punch cards
to calculate the process being monitored.
We have come a long way since then.
cheers, Neville Michie