[time-nuts] More from the obsolete gps file: oncore nmea

Art Sepin art at synergy-gps.com
Tue Jun 1 21:46:16 UTC 2010

Hi, Folks,

Here are a few things that are intended to correct some statements in this thread:

1. There was a mistake in the Motorola GT+/UT+ Users Guide TRM0003 that was never corrected. Chapter 6 Table 6.2 lists the "Switch to NMEA" @@Ci command as being included for both the GT+ and the UT+ when, in fact, it is only available for the GT+ navigation receiver. I have never seen a UT+ output NMEA messages but it was a possibility if the NMEA code was inadvertently switched on at the factory. In that case, NMEA would be available but "unsupported."

2. It's true that the Motorola designed/produced M12+ Timing receiver did not output NMEA messages. But, NMEA messages ARE and HAVE BEEN included in the Motorola designed M12M OEM GPS timing receivers produced for our distribution since 2006 by iLotus of Singapore (one of SiRF's Value Added Manufacturers).

3. Synergy Systems, LLC ceased our reflashing service for Motorola Oncore receivers on June 22 of 2005; the date Motorola sold its GPS receiver division to SiRF Technologies of San Jose, CA.

Since 1999 we have supplied either low-cost or no-cost OEM GPS receivers to various, educational endeavors, including Ham Radio, through our GPS for Scholars program at this link:
http://www.synergy-gps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=73.
If we don't have appropriate legacy sample boards available at the moment of need, we will supply a current model of the needed part at an educational discount of 10%.

In the case of the balloon application, I've determined that we have a GT+ and an M12+ navigation receiver in our engineering lab. We are willing to donate both parts at no charge to the project - recipient pays for shipping/duty, etc. (freight collect). If interested, please respond directly to art @ synergy-gps.com with your full name and address details + shipping instructions.

Thanks & Regards,

Art Sepin
Synergy Systems, LLC
San Diego, CA