[time-nuts] OT - HP 5183A Waveform Recorder - is it worth playing with?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jun 2 21:25:23 UTC 2010

Pete Lancashire wrote:
> $17,800 the good days :-)
>
> Did the user i/f to the HPIB ever get published ?
>
> -pete

I'm not sure if it got "published" or was "leaked" to
certain customers.  I vaguely remember having to document
it.  I just remembered that the HPIB "phy" chip used
was made by TI and had a bug in it.  TI refused to fix
the bug.  (The other two vendors of phy chips also had
bugs).  If you made continuous measurements, about once
a day it would go into serial poll mode and hang.  However,
I believe the fault was in the top box.

Rick