[time-nuts] TPLL secret reveled

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Thu Jun 10 14:51:43 UTC 2010

Jim,

pardon if I correct you: The reciprocal counters were an intermediate thing
between the counting only and the subclock interpolating ones. A reciprocal
counter would notice when a frequency measurement would be too imprecise due
to an arkward relationship between that gate time and the frequency to be
measured.

With only a few zero crossings within the gate time a reciprocal counter
would use the frequency to be measured as the source for its gate time and
measure the frequency of its reference with that. The result is then back
computed to the frequency to be measured.

This principle has nothing to do with sub clock interpolation. Nevertheless
it is true that once that the reciprocal principle has been introduced it
has been used in all following technologies.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert