[time-nuts] UTC and leap seconds

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Fri Jun 11 10:25:36 UTC 2010

At 06:03 AM 6/11/2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote...
>In message <815517.110281276250464575.JavaMail.root at wmail51>,
>"iovane at inwind.it
>" writes:
> >
> >I was wondering, why we assume that  Earth's rotation is slowing
> down, instead
> >that clocks are speeding up?
>
>Because we can measure it relative to the position of very distant
>quasars.

I assume you mean use a clock to measure the earth's rotation, using
quasars as a positional reference. That's circular logic.

One answer to the question is that earth clocks agree closely with
external time sources, like pulsars, and that we can explain why the
earth slows (tidal forces, etc.), but there is no theoretical basis to
explain how cesium atoms would vibrate (yes, that's oversimplified)
faster and faster.