[time-nuts] UTC and leap seconds

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Fri Jun 11 12:38:07 UTC 2010

> In message <20100611102543.67641136087 at hamburg.alientech.net>, Mike S
> writes:
>>At 06:03 AM 6/11/2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote...
>
>>I assume you mean use a clock to measure the earth's rotation, using
>>quasars as a positional reference. That's circular logic.
>
> Obviously, any measurement of earths rotation has to involve
> circular logic :-)

Large ring laser gyros can also measure the earth rotation. However main
use is in "higher" freq measurements of earth rotation. Perhaps a large
RLG and a starlooking sensor running on the same clock... That should
cancel the clock from the observations.

   http://tau.fesg.tu-muenchen.de/~us/Docs/Ring-SPb04.pdf

--

  Björn