[time-nuts] UTC and leap seconds

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Jun 11 16:20:25 UTC 2010

Hi Antonio:

It turns out that the atmosphere has instabilities that make the
position of a star appear to vary a few arc seconds and that effect is
called "seeing".
Because of the seeing you can not use an optical telescope to make a
measurement of the Earth's rotation to the accuracy needed to see the
slowing down.
See:  http://www.prc68.com/I/StellarTime.shtml

If you're interested in modern developments in our understanding of the
universe have a look at these:
Richard Feynman Messenger Lectures - Gravity
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html#data=4%7C0%7C%7C6b89dded-3eb8-4fa4-bbcd-7c69fe78ed0c%7C%7C

TED Talks
http://www.ted.com/talks
Some interesting talks about astronomy, a 6 dimensional model that
predicts new particles to look for, gravity lens image, etc.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com