[time-nuts] UTC and leap seconds

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jun 12 00:33:56 UTC 2010

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> The Chilean earthquake changed the angular rotation rate (or, probably  more
> accurately, changed the direction of the axis of rotation as well)
> of the earth a small amount, as do most large earthquakes.

Has anybody measured that?

Is there a good URL on this?  (predictions if not data)  All I've found so
far is a small NASA press release predicting 1.26 microseconds per day:
  http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth-20100301.html
(and a zillion news sources repeating it)

1 microsecond/day is 1 part in 1E11.

---------

>From a friend in radio astronomy (VLBI):

They had a lot of the right instruments in the right place.

  Graph of position (3 meters!):
    http://ivsopar.obspm.fr/earth/tigo

  Description of the  TIGO package:
    http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov/lw12/docs/Riepl_Tigo.pdf