[time-nuts] 5061A Problem Child

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Wed Jun 16 02:33:27 UTC 2010

It's been a long week and it's only Tuesday.

How can I prove that the A3 assembly is, in fact, phase modulating?  In
other words, how can I prove that the 90 MHz signal from the A3 assembly to
J1 on the A4 assembly is phase modulated by the 137 Hz signal?

I have looked at the output of the A3 assembly at the cable to J1 on the A4
assembly (A4P1) with an oscilloscope and a spectrum analyzer with Mod On and
Mod Off and can see no difference.  Likewise, on a functioning unit, I can
not see any difference there either.  Are there proper ways to set up the
scope or SA to focus on this issue?

Short of fabricating a 'phase detector', how can I prove that the A3 unit is
functioning in my 'problem child' unit.  If I have to fabricate a 'phase
detector', how easy (or difficult) is that?

Thanks,

Joe