[time-nuts] Advantages & Disadvantages of the TPLL Method

Robert Benward rbenward at verizon.net
Sat Jun 19 16:36:50 UTC 2010

Warren,
I was responding to ke5fx comment "using a 12-bit, 480-Hz serial DAQ in
place of the voltage-to-frequency converter in the diagram above".   A DAQ
is a multifaceted data acquisition system, where as in your annotated
diagram you showed an ADC.

I understand it's analog, but you said: "Say you have a nice logic gate with
1 ns delay" . So back to the analog loop, do you have an analysis that gets
you from EFC to femtosecond stability?  PLLs are notorious for phase noise,
the phase noise actually representing the error term that brings the loop
back into lock.

For your second email:

>You are now averaging the "repeatable"  jitter?     YES
I was not questioning the procedure, I was questioning the conclusion;

>Are you using a digital phase detector or a mixer as shown?     Analog
>Phase detector
Why the digital analogy if it's all analog?

>Do you have an analysis of the loop sensitivity/resolution?        No
>analysis, No limit it is analog
I don't agree with you about the limit, and without an analysis or even a
simple calculation, how do arrive at femtosecond lock?  if there is no
limit, why not a hundred times less?

>Why do you say the results are repeatable in the short term vs the long
>term?    Long term includes other factors such as non random drift, not
>just "random Noise"
Maybe so, but using the "short term" , is not a license to better jitter
figures by a factor of 100.  Since you are not using digital, I don't know
where this example came from or why it is relevant.

> Is there not a lower limit to how much you can average?         Depends or
> everything, but not up to > 1 sec of averaging when the conditions are
> made right
I don't understand how you arrive at this conclusion

For your last email:
What attracted me to the TPLL question now was that you comment that you are
maintaining a femtosecond lock. Please don't dumb it down for me.  I may not
understand all the statistical stuff, but I can understand an analysis.

Bob