[time-nuts] crystal oscillators & TPLL

Robert Benward rbenward at verizon.net
Wed Jun 23 03:13:37 UTC 2010

Steve,
It is admirable that you stick up for Warren.  Part of Warren's problem is
his disrespect for some of the other commenters of his work.  The name
calling and put downs just does not endear him to anyone.  Saying to someone
that they made a dumb mistake, and if they can't see the obvious then, that
is their fault and he doesn't care, just not the way to get people on your
side.  And as for my comments, well, you weren't the one getting the private
emails from him.

The crux of Warren's problem lies with your comment,  "It's not easy for
anyone to share their hard work for peer review".   All he has submitted is
verbal claims, he has really not submitted anything for peer review.  This
is what everyone has been asking for.  We are just supposed to take his word
for it.  I asked him a question and all I got was obfuscation and obtuse
analogies.   I really don't think he understands the underlying concepts,
but if he does, then he certainly chooses incorrect words to describe them.
In my vast experience in the engineering field, if someone can't explain
simple concepts, then they probably don't fully understand them.  I am
certainly not an expert in this field, but I can tell when someone is
groping.  He makes statements that are factually misleading, sort of like
saying the power in the coax is 70V.  The use of inappropriate units is
direct indication of a lack of understanding.  Saying his oscillators are
within femtoseconds of accuracy to each other is fundamentally incorrect,
and is not the same as saying the fractional frequency error is in
femtoseconds.  Loosely swapping units back and forth is due to that lack of
understanding.

Warren has dug himself into his own hole and he is just wallowing in his own
verbosity.

In any case, I'm staying away from this thread from now on, it's going
nowhere.

Regards,
Bob