[time-nuts] FRS-C TTL / sine outboard filter question

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Jun 23 12:27:39 UTC 2010

If your concern is to clean up the harmonics, a crystal ladder filter is probably not the best choice, a low pass filter would be easier to design, would probably require no adjustment and be cheaper in parts with less effect on the fundamental signal you are interested in.

If your concern is cleanliness and close-in phase noise (as Mike referred to), then a narrow crystal filter would indeed be a better choice. Keep in mind that ladder filters have an assymetric frequency response. That may or may not help you.

On the other end, if you are going to drive any kind of digital circuitry, a square wave (even distorted) is probably better than a sine wave.

Didier

------------------------ Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...